At the Portuguese Society for the Study of Birds (SPEA, BirdLife’s partner in Portugal), we work every day to protect Portuguese birds and the incredible habitats they depend on.
Thanks to the support of our members, volunteers and partners, we monitor the state of Portuguese birds, build nests, remove invasive species, push for better laws, fight environmental crime and much, much more.
The Portuguese partner of BirdLife International, SPEA is recognised as a public benefit entity (“entidade de utilidade pública”) and registered as a a tourist operator.
- Best LIFE Nature Project 2013 – LIFE Safe Islands for Seabirds
- Prémio BES Biodiversidade 2010: Honorable mention – Common Bird Monitoring Programme
- Best of the Best LIFE 2009 – LIFE Priolo
- Best LIFE Project 2009 – LIFE IBAs Marinhas
- Prémio Nacional BES Biodiversidade 2008 – LIFE IBAs Marinhas
SPEA was founded on 25 November 1993. We started as a small organisation mostly focused on birdwatching and research, but over the years we grew and evolved. Today we are one of the largest environmental NGOs in Portugal, and have proven that it’s possible to make a difference.
In 1999 we became the Portuguese partner of BirdLife International, an international network of environmental NGOs which acts in over 100 countries. SPEA is recognised as a public benefit entity (“entidade de utilidade pública”) since 2012.